[Djigzo users] Problems with upgrading from 1.4.1 to 2.0.1

Martijn Brinkers martijn at djigzo.com
Thu Apr 7 09:44:34 CEST 2011

On 04/07/2011 08:19 AM, Martijn Brinkers wrote:
> On 04/07/2011 01:33 AM, Ronald Nissley wrote:
>> I tried to upgrade a working install of Djigzo 1.4.1 to Djigzo 2.0.1 on
>> CentOS 5.5, with the following steps:
>>
>> 1) downloaded djigzo-2.0.1-0.noarch.rpm and djigzo-web-2.0.1-0.noarch.rpm.
>> 2) yum upgrade djigzo-*
>> 3) chown tomcat:djigzo /usr/share/djigzo-web/ssl/sslCertificate.p12
>> 4) service tomcat5 restart
>>
>> Lots of errors during installation (should have redirected stdout to a
>> file!)
>
> I think the errors you mention are just warnings that certain database
> tables already exist. These are just warnings and can be ignored (I will
> add a note about it in the documentation)
>
>> The installation completed, and yum indicates Djigzo 2.0.1 is installed.
>>
>> If I try to login the web application, I see:
>> Login failed
>> Back-end is not running or not yet fully started up
>> ...yes, I've waited...and waited.
>>
>> When restarting tomcat, I see:
>>
>> Stopping tomcat5:                                          [  OK  ]
>> Starting tomcat5: /usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: Could not find jaf
>> Java extension for this JVM
>> /usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: Some detected jars were not found
>> for this jvm
>>                                                            [  OK  ]
>
> [snip]
>
> There was a change in 2.0.1 that might explain this error. Djigzo 2.0.1
> no longer provides activation.jar because Djigzo now requires Java 6
> which already includes the activation.jar functionality. This works on
> CentOS/RedHat. What might have happened though is that the upgrade
> process left a symlink to activation.jar while the jar no longer exit.
> Can you try the following:
>
> 1. download activation.jar from
> http://www.djigzo.com/downloads/test/activation.jar
>
> 2. move (or copy) activation.jar to /usr/share/djigzo/lib/mail
>
> 3. Restart Djigzo and Tomcat

It seems that some old symlinks are not removed during the upgrade
process. You can fix this for now by manually deleting the old symlinks
after the upgrade to 2.0.1 with the following steps:

1. goto /usr/share/djigzo/james-2.3.1/apps/james/SAR-INF/lib

$cd /usr/share/djigzo/james-2.3.1/apps/james/SAR-INF/lib

2. remove the invalid symlinks (if you login with SSH, the invalid
symlinks are shown in red color)

$ rm activation.jar
$ rm jcifs-1.3.12.jar
$ rm saaj-api-1.3.jar
$ rm saaj-impl-1.3.jar

3. Restart Djigzo and Tomcat

I'll update the documentation for now and see why the upgrade fails to
remove the symlinks.

Note: this problem only relates to an upgrade of Djigzo to 2.0.1 on
CentOS/RedHat. The Debian/Ubuntu installer should not experience this
problem

Kind regards,

Martijn Brinkers