[Djigzo users] !!!WARNING!!! : Don't upgrade Java if you are using Ubuntu 8.04!!

Martijn Brinkers martijn at djigzo.com
Thu Aug 19 09:58:33 CEST 2010

Another update for those who are interested in the technicalities of the
Ubuntu bug.

What follows is rather technical so you can skip it if you are not
interested. The bottom line is that it's best to wait before doing a
dist-upgrade until Ubuntu has fixed the OpenJDK package.

Technical details:

It turns out that they have back-ported OpenJDK from newer Ubuntu
release to Ubuntu 8.04. The original OpenJDK op Ubuntu 8.04 however had
a different set of dependencies then the updated version. This resulted
in the removal of the ant package which in turn results in the removal
of Tomcat and Djigzo (and all other packages which depend on the ant
package).

Because the OpenJDK update as far as I know only solves a problem with
Applets there is no need for now to update OpenJDK if you are only
running Djigzo. It's therefore better to wait until Ubuntu has fixed the
bug.

If you really need to upgrade I have uploaded a work-around package. The
only thing the package does is to tell Ubuntu that a Java virtual
machine is available (a so called virtual package).

You can download the package from:

http://www.djigzo.com/downloads/fake-java-virtual-machine_1.0.0_all.deb

You should install the package before doing the dist-upgrade.

Again: only do this if you really need to update. It's better to wait
for an updated Ubuntu package.

Kind regards,

Martijn