[Djigzo users] Warning: Java update and JCE unlimited strength policy files

lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de
Wed Apr 7 12:05:01 CEST 2010

Zitat von Martijn Brinkers <martijn at djigzo.com>:

> Hi,
>
> Today Ubuntu issued an update for OpenJDK (Java). If OpenJDK is updated
> it seems that the Ubuntu OpenJDK installer overwrites the JCE unlimited
> strength policy files. The Virtual Appliance will restore the JCE
> unlimited strength policy after a restart (from a backup copy) but this
> is not the case when Djigzo is manually installed using the .deb files
> on Ubuntu 8.04.
> Newer releases of Ubuntu (and RedHat/CentOS) use an updated version of
> OpenJDK which no longer require the JCE unlimited strength policy files
> to be installed.
>
> You can check whether the JCE unlimited strength policy is still in
> place after upgrading Java by opening Djigzo Web. If there is no warning
> about missing "JCE unlimited strength policy" then the policy is still
> in place. If not reinstall jce_policy-6.zip (like you did before).

Many thanks for the warning. In fact i have installed the update and
not yet checked about the Policy....

> In sum:
>

> if using Ubuntu >= 9.04 or CentOS/RedHat 5.3/5.4 then you do NOT need to
> install "JCE unlimited strength policy files"
>
> if using Djigzo Virtual Appliance a restart after upgrade of Java
> ()openJDK) will automatically reinstall the "JCE unlimited strength
> policy files"
>
> if using Ubuntu 8.04 the "JCE unlimited strength policy files" should be
> reinstalled after upgrading Java.
>
> Newer releases of Ubuntu use an OpenJDK which no longer require the "JCE
> unlimited strength policy files". Once the new Long Term Release (LTS)
> of Ubuntu is released Djigzo will use by default the new LTS version.

Does this mean .deb packages are only released for the new LTS version
further on?? As we do not always upgrade immediately we would like to
see support for 8.04 LTS a little bit longer if possible. After all
that's the advantage of LTS...

Regards

Andreas