[Djigzo users] Customer experience

Eamonn McGonigle eamonn at bogpeople.com
Wed Jun 17 21:48:52 CEST 2009

Hi Martijn,

I have been playing with Djigzo for a couple of months now and I think
it is fantastic...so let me start by saying thanks for your hard work on
it and for releasing it to the open-source community.

If you are looking for votes (!), I think #2 below is a real winner.  I
have been evaluating Djigzo in comparison to Cisco's Ironport for a
number of encryption requirements.  While the "gateway-to-gateway"
S/MIME capabilities of Djigzo are ideal, I also have a requirement for
clientless support which Ironport's PXE does very nicely (but at a steep
price).  There appear to be a few other products out there covering the
same ground (the ZixDirect at www.zixcorp.com and Trend Micro Private
Post from Trend Micro, to pick two examples).  The PDF encryption in
Djigzo doesn't meet the requirements because to achieve an adequate key
length would require typing in a password so long that users would never
find it acceptable.  I considered modifying your code to lengthen the
PDF encryption password and increase the "alphabet" from which password
characters were drawn but dropped the idea when I worked out how long
the password would need to be to achieve even 128-bit key strength.  I
would therefore be delighted to see Djigzo offer the kind of clientless
capability you outline.

If I may venture a suggestion, I would have a slight concern about the
idea that the encrypted blob is pushed up to the server where the
decryption key is stored for decryption.  I would suggest that it is not
ideal to have the decryption key and the encrypted content both on this
server.  I know Cisco's Ironport works slightly differently.  The user
receives the message in a HTML wrapper similar to what you describe
below. When he logs onto the server, a script in his browser downloads
the decryption key which is then used to decrypt the blob locally on the
user's PC (done by a bunch of Javascript code which comes down with the
HTML wrapper).  This approach has the advantage that the message content
is never actually stored on the key server...only the decryption key
(which is pretty useless without the message content).  I guess the
obvious counter-argument is that the message is encrypted on this server
in the first instance so uploading it again for decryption isn't a
dramatic dilution of the security (once the encrypted message content
isn't actually stored on the same server as the decryption keys).

Best Wishes,
Eamonn