[Djigzo users] Newbie set-up help

Martijn Brinkers martijn at djigzo.com
Wed Jun 17 15:31:21 CEST 2009

Hi Dimitri,

Have you downloaded the administration guide? It explains how to setup
the MTA and gives an overview of all the functionality.

The first step is to make sure that email is sent and received via Djigzo.

A general setup will go as follows:

Djigzo MTA

* Allow email relay from your internal sendmail (add the IP of the
sendmail server to “My Networks”)

* Add the the domains to the “Relay domains” for which you receive email
(firstbhpb.com etc.)

* Set the ”Internal relay host” to the IP address of the sendmail server
(or spam server/virus scanner) to make sure that incoming email gets
sent to your internal email server.

* If you want Djigzo to sent email to external recipients leave
“External relay host” blank. If you use an external relay fill in the IP
(or address) of the relay

* To make Djigzo know which internal recipients are valid recipients
enable advanced settings and enable “Reject unverified recipient”. This
option makes Djigzo (actually the internally used Postfix server) ask
you sendmail server whether the user is a known user. Enable this option
to prevent back-scatter (see http://www.postfix.org/BACKSCATTER_README.html)
Change  “reject code” from 450 (try again later) to 550 (reject) if you
are certain that “Reject unverified recipient” is functional.

* Apply settings

Djigzo internally uses Postfix for the MTA part so for the fine details
see http://www.postfix.org/documentation.html.

Djigzo contains a MTA (responsible for email delivery) and MPA
(responsible for email processing like encryption etc.). The MTA
determines for which domains you receive email. The MPA determines which
email should be encrypted or decrypted. The MPA has to know which
domains are internal and which are external In most setups incoming
email for your internal users should be decrypted and outgoing email for
external users should be encrypted. So in most setups you should add a
domain (see page 22 of the administration guide) for each domain you
have enabled in the MTA relay domains and make sure that the domain is
an internal domain (to make sure that incoming email is decrypted and
outgoing email is encrypted).

You should now create a CA server certificate and add certificates for
your internal and/or external users. This is explained in the S/MIME
setup guide.

Once you have setup Djigzo for sending and receiving email you can start
experimenting with all the features.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to ask if something isn't clear.

Kind regards,

Martijn Brinkers